Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 32 - Switching fats and losing fat

7 pounds!! Woohoo!

I am feeling so good about this! Last year, hubby and I made a half-hearted attempt to lose some weight, and after 3 weeks, I had lost NOTHING. I was so disappointed and frustrated.

This time I'm taking a different approach. First of all, I'm not making it competitive. When I make things competitive, all I think about is "I don't want to lose!" See the irony in this? If I'm telling myself I "don't want to lose", how am I "going to lose" weight? I'm working against myself!

This time, I'm just going to work on my goal of shedding this weight, and changing the kinds of things we eat, and hubby will 1.) be eating healthier anyway, or 2.) start cooking more!

I realize that its only been about a month, but 7 pounds feels really good!

Over the years since hubby and I have been flirting with the idea of losing weight, we have debated over the choices of fats we use in our foods. butter vs margerine or spray or other butter substitute, canola oil, olive oil, etc. The biggest debate has been over butter. I personally love butter and have always felt that, even though butter is 100% fat, its a "natural" fat, and hence better able to be processed than all the artificial crap that's in margerine or butter-ish sprays, spreads, etc. I've alway thought its better to eat what I can pronounce than a bunch of questionable stuff I can't.

That being said, I was online this morning and saw (for the billionth time) the ad for "The Diet Solution". We've all seen that ad, over and over. Its everywhere! I couldn't help myself. I had to click on it. So I ended up watching this video that reveals a few of their "secrets" about weight loss, which they state is available free to anyone if you are willing to dig for the information.

One statement made in the video is BAD fats = hydrogenated oils, canola oil, margerine, butter substitutes; GOOD fats = butter, eggs, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado and raw nuts.

Good news for me! I love butter! I use olive oil often. I love avocado and nuts. Bad news for me: I also use canola oil often, for cooking. The bit about hydrogenated oil is not new. I've been avoiding that lately anyway, and it's the hubby that uses the butter sub/sprays. Hopefully I can convince him to break that habit.

So, in keeping with the plan to state the things I am changing and the progress/sustainability of the changes I make, I'm going to pitch the canola oil, and start using the olive oil for most things. I also use an olive oil Pam for a lot of pan frying. I think I can stick with that, although just using a paper towel and a teaspoon of oil to coat a pan is probably more economical, contains no propellants, and limits the amount of fat I actually add to the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment