Friday, October 1, 2010

Days 40 & 41 Sleep Issues

For the last, oh....5 years or so, I've developed some issues with getting to sleep at night. I've always been quite the night person, and for most of my life, by the time I actually went to bed, I'd fall asleep right away. Usually in 3 to 5 minutes.

Not anymore. Oh no! Some nights I will lay there for hours. Other nights I will stay up way too late before I even head for the bedroom, just because I don't feel tired. And if hubby happens to wake me up within an hour or so of falling asleep, well I am doomed then. It's like a shot of adrenaline. Not only will I wake up, but I wake up startled and then pissed off. And then it takes FOREVER to get back to sleep.

But then morning comes...way to early I might add.( I've never ever been a morning person.) On the contrary,  And I have the hardest time *waking* up. I drag around for at least the first two hours, bleary-eyed and half out of focus, sipping coffee, and waiting for all the parts to "get it together".  I don't even feel awake by the time I get to work.

When I was thin, even though I was still a night person, I was still able to lay down and go to sleep without a problem. It wasn't a matter of "I can't get to sleep", it was "I don't want to". The difficulty in actually getting to sleep seems to have come along as I put on the weight.

Have any of you experienced changes in your sleep patterns as a result of weight gain? Last night it was after 1am by the time I got to sleep, and then I woke up twice after that. Ugh!!! And now I am just dragging....

__________

Recap on the food intake. Wednesday evening, third child and I made dinner. We have a rule in our house that whichever child has the "A-list" chores gets to make dinner on Wednesday. I have dozens of cookbooks, and part of the assignment is for them to find an interesting dinner recipe, make the grocery list for it on Monday, and then make the dinner (with help, as necessary). So Wednesday we had a chicken "pot pie" type thing. Ingredients were: chicken, carrots, mushrooms, celery, onion, thyme, garlic, lemon zest, chicken broth, olive oil to saute the veggies, and a puff pastry sheet on top. The good part is that it had only one crust layer, so less bread/carbs. We used all white meat chicken, no skin or fat, instead of the called-for thighs. Broth was 99% fat free. The filling ingredients were placed in a baking dish with the pastry on top (easily removable), so serving it was by "scooping" it out of the pan, meaning that the light gravy could be strained out. (Good for me!) We increased the amount of veggies the recipe called for, so that was a bonus as well. I had a small piece of that for dinner Wednesday, and again for lunch on Thursday. Thursday's dinner was a wedge of fresh pineapple and a sliced Gala apple, with water to drink.

I've been staying completely away from the pop. No Coke, Pepsi....No bottled teas with tons of sugar. That feels good. Before I stopped drinking those, I'd started noticing, especially when I'd get the McDonald's bucket of Sweet Tea, that I'd get these weird head rush sorta feelings in the afternoon after lunch. First I'd get the tea for lunch, drink maybe half of it, and by 2pm, I'd feel bloated and get these head-rush/headache type things. At first, I didn't make the connection. But then I noticed the pattern. If that isn't a crystal clear message that "all that sugar" isn't good for you, I don't know what is.

__________

I've fallen on my face with exercise. Haven't done a thing. :(   Feel crapy about it. Don't have an excuse.

__________

Just realized that one of the goals for the week was supposed to be adding anti-inlammatory incredients to the menu. Guessed I 've blown that too.

I think what I need to do to accomplish that one is to actually pick the foods first, add them to the grocery list, and also add them to the dinner menu....ahead of time. Lemme work on that....

No comments:

Post a Comment