Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 98 & 99 Second Thanksgiving

So the turkey soup......Made the soup base on Thursday night, and finished the soup tonight (Sunday). Normally I would add chicken broth to the turkey carcass when making the base, but this time I just used water, along with the other ingredients, carrots, onion, a bit of stuffing, celery, sage, thyme. Can't even tell the difference in taste, and it's certainly less expensive than using broth from a can or box.

Once the base is made and strained, I add sliced carrots, chopped celery, slivered onion, chopped turkey, and No Yolk extra wide noodles, on the side. I don't know about you, but I don't like mushy noodles in my soup. I like them to have some density to them, so I always make them in a separate pot, and add them to the bowl at serving, never in the soup pot. A little salt and pepper on top, and YUM!

I've kinda fallen on my face for keeping track of my water and calorie intake for the last couple days. I haven't been blowing it terribly, just not doing the counting. So today I'm back to business.

Breakfast: coffee with sweetened creamer, 140 cal.
One piece of french toast with 1 Tbsp low cal syrup: 175 + 50 = 225 calories

Another cup of coffee, 140 cal

Lunch: about 4 ounces of turkey with a Tbsp of gravy: 176 + 14 = 190 cal
3 tablespoons of sweet potatoes: about 300 cal


Dinner: bowl of turkey soup, about 140 cal.

Total: 1135 calories
Water so far: 32 ounces

___________

So, the part about "second" thanksgiving...

About a year ago I joined an org called the SCA. Rather than give you my description, here's the official one from their website:

"The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more."


Mmmkay. Kinda geeky, I know. One of my "passions" is costuming, and to me, there is no better place to practice this than in a organization that is all about the garb. When my kids were little, I would go all-out on the costumes for Halloween. But, alas they are little no longer! (See how I got that in there?) Heh! And so I'd been trying to figure out how I could revive my costuming skills, when I stumbled across the SCA. 

(We have an annual Renaissance Festival here in Michigan, but quite honestly, its more of a theatrical event than truly Renaissance period. And most of the people that attend aren't in costumes, it's usually just the performers who work there that wear costumes, and many of these are not very authentic.)


The SCA, on the other hand, is all about authenticity, and that appealed to me, from an artistic/creative standpoint. I enjoy the research that goes into creating a period outfit, and like to see others' creations as well.


So the SCA is broken down in a hierarchical manner, from the international organization, down to the local barony to the smallest canton. The events occur at all levels, and yesterday was a Barony-level event called Wassail. Without going into a lot of history about Wassail, suffice it to say that this event is a pot-luck affair, with a generous helping of wine and/or ale, home-made or otherwise. When SCA members describe this event to others, they often call it another "thanksgiving", because of all the food and drink available. And unlike other SCA events, the food does not have to be "period" for this event. The event goes on all day, from noon til about 10 or 11pm, with dinner in the 5-6 pm range


So, youngest and I attended yesterday, and brought a hot dish, 2 pies, and a gallon of Honey-Crisp Apple Cider. And I also brought 5 bottles of water for me to drink, so I was staying on task!


What I did eat, I took very small amounts of, with the exception of the pulled-pork sandwich, because it was "a sandwich".


And the run-down is:


One pulled-pork sandwich on a kaiser roll, with 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce (ate 2/3 of it)
3 tablespoons of green bean casserole
1/2 cup of dill pickle soup (not liking it, only ate 3-4 teaspoons-full)
1 Tbsp of cranberry chutney (didn't like either, ate 1/2 a teaspoon-full)
2 ounces of ham
4 cubes of fresh pineapple
6 grape tomatoes
3 mini cream-puffs
2 Tbsp home-made cinnamon applesauce
And a bottle of white wine (drank 2/3 of it)
water (2.5 bottles)


I don't know what the calorie count is on this, but I'll guess that it was the sandwich and wine that did me in. The quantities are honest, as the request at this event is to take a taste of things until everyone has had a chance to visit the tables. I did not go back for seconds.


The good choices: the pineapple, tomatoes, applesauce, water


The bad choices: Kaiser roll, casserole, cream puffs


The bottom line: I didn't get in all the water, I'm sure I ran over on calories, but not terribly, and I am back on track today. But we had fun, and got to re-connect with some very cool people!

By the way, breakfast was my typical coffee, and that was it for the day.
___________________

Ugh! I so don't want to go back to work tomorrow! I've enjoyed a few days off, and even though I haven't had to get up really early, my time schedule is all screwed up, what with the 4am wake up the other day, and staying up too late at night. I don't feel really rested...

Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend and have a great week coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment