Friday, January 14, 2011

(146) Busy Day and Busier Weekend...at TLC

So, lots to do today. Very busy at work, and shortly thereafter I'll be heading out of town for a couple days. I'll be attending a weekend workshop called The Living Course, on which I'll be an assistant. I've taken the course previously and once taken, you are invited to come back as an assistant, which is a great way to continue the learning process and keep your momentum going.

I originally attended the course about 5 years ago, and it has changed my life!! It's given me the insight to address all kinds of things that have interferred with both my personal life and my work life. I attended with my daughter the first time, because we were experiencing a lot of turmoil in our house sprouting from a rebellious teen, and the whole step-parent situation, and her absent father. Then my son attended, and finally my husband attended. Our youngest attended the Kids Course, because she hasn't been old enough to attend the adult course.

The course is very "experiential" in that you will explore all kinds of ways in which your behavior, choices and feelings cause many of the problems you experience in life, and hold you back from achieving your dreams and best relationships in life. It helps you see how your feelings and reactions keep you locked in a cyclical pattern that prevents real growth and can keep you feeling miserable, frustrated and discouraged.

Throughout the course, there are opportunities to learn new tools, share in other's experiences to which you relate on a very personal level, and work through your own feelings, in order to break old habits and move toward a happier, more fulfilling life.

There are always 2 instructors on the course, one man and one woman, and who those instructors are varies from course to course. There are specifically 6 people that I know that teach this course, and they are all extremely talented, dynamic, and insightful. There are usually between 6 and 16 students, and usually 25-45 assistants. Once at the course, each student will be assigned 2-3 assistants, who have all attended the course previously, and who act as a mini-support system for each student during the weekend. They share their own experiences, give gentle guidance and insight, and ensure that each student always has someone to answer questions, make them comfortable, and accompany them to lunch and dinner throughout the weekend.

I always look forward to assisting on this course, of which there are about 6 per year. I don't make it to all of them, but I try and make it to at least 2 or 3 each year. I learn something new about myself each and every time I attend, and I have the added benefit of reconnecting with some amazing people and meeting new ones each time I go. I know there are other courses like this one in other states, but I've never attended any of them. I believe there are courses in New York, Florida, California and of course, Michigan. There used to be one in Cleveland, but the owner of that center passed away, and I don't know if that course continues with other instructors or not.

This will be a very busy weekend, as it gets started this evening about 6pm and runs till about 10:30. It goes all day tomorrow, and most of the day on Sunday. Student graduation is Sunday evening, about 7:30 or so, and afterward there is usually much socializing. I usually don't get home on Sunday until about 11pm.

I'll not be posting much this weekend, as I'll have very limited access to my blog, and that will only be through my phone. I WILL be staying on plan, I just won't have an easy way of calculating calories. But I'm taking my measuring cups and spoons, and will at least write down what I eat. I'll update when I get back.

I'll be back briefly this afternoon, and then I'll be off....

Meanwhile, I hope everyone has a great day and a great weekend! Keep it healthy and stay on plan!

Allan, I'll be sending you my weight today, cuz I doubt I'll be near one on Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the workshop,dear. I hope it goes well and your enjoy yourself. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This workshop sounds AMAZING ! I would love to talk with you more about it in further detail when you have the time.

    Have a wonderful weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,

    I just started following you and I love your blog. Please join my weight loss blog and lets support eachother!

    Awesome job on your success!
    See you soon,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete