Friday, January 21, 2011

(153) One Foot in Front of the Other

I just visited Pam's blog tonight. She's a new follower to mine, so I thought I'd stop by. Her post sounds like so many I've read, where folks are getting discouraged and depression is setting in.

That's a pretty common theme in weight loss blogs....

And so I shared with her a story that my friend teaches in that course I told all of you about last weekend. (The Living Course).

Say you are driving to the coast (whichever one is furthest from you). It's dark out when you get in the car, you know what your destination is, but you have no idea what the road ahead looks like. You've never driven that far before, and you've never been to the coast, but you know what direction it is.  You start the car, turn on the lights, and pull out of the driveway. Your headlights only shine so far, right? But they shine far enough for you to make it to the freeway and pick the right direction.

So you drive for awhile, but still have now idea how to get THAT far....to THAT strange place. But the lights on your car light up enough road for you to keep going. You'll be able to see the signs and follow the road that takes you to your destination. And as long as you know where you are going, all you need to worry about is the next few yards (or steps) in front of you.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Even baby steps can get you where you want to go, as long as you are facing the right direction. Choices....its all about choices.

3 comments:

  1. Great advice on the one foot in front of the other. You're right - you just have to make sure you are headed in the right direction. Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome analogy, thanks for sharing that. I'm in the car, I know the destination (thinville), but still don't know how to get all the way there. I'm starting to find my way, but haven't yet developed a routine or the healthy habits that I need to get me to point B. I'll get there though.

    BTW, you are doing a fantastic job with the calories and the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Focusing on a smaller goal rather than an overall goal can lessen the discouragement that comes from working on a goal that takes some time. Breaking goals into several steps is a wonderful way to keep the enthusiasm and commitment going. :)

    ReplyDelete